Skip to content

Topeka

The Haw Patch had everything but a town

Published .

Something wrong? Submit a correction.

The southeast quarter of Eden Township is a broad stretch of ground that early settlers called the Haw Patch.

The soil was rich, the land level or gently rolling, and there were no marshes in it. It was heavily forested with sugar maple and black walnut and remarkably free of underbrush, except for hawthorn and wild grape. There was so much hawthorn that people named the place after it.

Robert Latta heard about it by accident.

He was a farmer near Urbana, Ohio, and in 1830 he came to Goshen to bring medicine and supplies to his son Johnston, who was practicing medicine there. While he was in Goshen he met surveyors who had been through LaGrange County, and they told him about the Haw Patch land. He detoured on the way home to look at it.

He already had a good farm under cultivation in Ohio. The county history published in 1882 says he longed for new forests to conquer.

In the spring of 1832 he came back with his wife and his daughter Achsah and built a log house on Section 26. That autumn William McConnell arrived from Ohio and settled on Section 35, just south, with his wife Agnes, four sons, and a daughter.


The two families did not get along, and the county history is direct about why.

Latta was a Whig and a Methodist. McConnell was a Democrat and a Presbyterian. Both were public spirited, both were prominent, and a rivalry started almost immediately.

It showed up in land.

Each man ended up owning about eighteen separate eighty acre tracts. That is roughly fourteen hundred acres apiece, and the county history notes dryly that it was considerably more forest land than was profitable to own in those days.

So they gave a lot of it away. Eighty acres went to one man as payment for a year's work. Another sizeable piece went to somebody in exchange for a job of rail splitting.

By the fall of 1835 there were fifteen households in the whole township and seventy-two people counting every man, woman, and child.

Two of them competed by buying a quarter of the county.


Each family opened a burying ground.

The county history, writing fifty years later, records that the McConnell family graveyard lies just across the road from the one Robert Latta established, and where he now rests. It calls this a suggestive fact and leaves it there.

Thomas C. McConnell went into the ground first, in 1836, at twenty-six. William McConnell followed in 1848 at sixty-seven, Agnes in 1851 at sixty-six, and then their sons and a later generation after them. By 1882 there was no McConnell left living in the township, and the graveyard still took one now and then.


The first years were bad in a way that has nothing to do with either family.

The weeds defied the farmers. They choked the grain and covered everything, and the county history says horses and cattle were sometimes lost in them. The birds came to the little wheat patches in numbers, making music all day and helping themselves.

Between the weeds and the birds, the question of what the harvest would be was a serious one.

There was no mill in the township. Grain went to Clearspring, or into Noble County, or to Benton in Elkhart County, and the trip to Benton with fifteen or twenty bushels took a day out and a day back.

Then the land started doing what the land does there. Wheat came in at twenty bushels an acre and corn at fifty, and it has been like that since.


For a while the Haw Patch was a dangerous place to be after dark.

A gang of horse thieves and general outlaws worked the region, moving stolen horses out of the county along regular lines with harborers stationed permanently at each stop. The reputation stuck to the whole area for years afterward.

On March 1, 1858, the neighbors organized. They met at Francis Ditman's house in Clearspring and formed the Clearspring and Eden Detective Police, with Abner Lewis as president. People called them the Regulators.

There was a parade at Kendallville, with the Regulator companies turning out and an immense crowd. One of the criminals was seized there and hanged shortly afterward near Diamond Lake in Noble County.

His body was taken back to his wife.

The county history says the criminal class was awed, arrests were made quickly, and the country was quiet in a very short time.


The only business place in the township was a crossroads that people called Slabtown.

It had been Haw Patch Center and Haw Patch before that, but the sawmill produced slabs and the name stuck. William McConnell kept the first store there and was the first postmaster. Timothy Hudson kept another on the Clearspring side of the line. There was a mill, and by 1881 a store, a blacksmith and wagon shop, and a harness shop with a brick house next to it.

It had never been platted.

In 1872 a survey came through for an extension of the Canada Southern Railroad. There was talk of putting the railroad shops there. A man named Thomas H. Gale came down from Michigan and bought over a section of improved land at high prices, betting on it.

The panic of 1873 came instead.

Writing in 1882, the county historian said there was now little hope of a railroad through the Haw Patch. In the same paragraph he wrote that Slabtown had never had the distinction of being platted, but that this was among the bright prospects of the future.


What the Haw Patch built instead was a hall.

A debating society had been meeting at the schoolhouse since about 1865. In 1878 the members decided to make something permanent of it, got a charter, and called it the Sycamore Literary Society. Two of them, Ira Ford and J. N. Babcock, had the idea that the society should own a building.

The old Dunkard church was for sale. They bought it, tore it down, moved it, and rebuilt it in 1879 at the corners on land donated by Orvin Kent. The finished hall was thirty by fifty-two feet, seated three hundred fifty, and had a stage and scenery.

They borrowed five hundred dollars from a bank in Ligonier to do it.

Then they paid it back in two years by putting on plays, holding entertainments, and running a lecture course. The speakers they brought in included T. DeWitt Talmage and Schuyler Colfax, who had been Vice President of the United States six years earlier.

Interest and principal, in two years, in a place called Slabtown.


The railroad came eventually. The Wabash built through the southern part of the county, the crossroads was platted at last, and the town took a name.

It took it from Topeka, Kansas.

Sources

Quotations and figures from the 1882 county history and the 1920 history of northeast Indiana are taken from scanned originals. Obvious scanning errors have been corrected silently. No wording has been altered.

Support the Gazette

Nothing on this site is behind a paywall and nothing on it is sponsored. If it has been worth something to you, there are three ways to give something back, and only one of them involves money.

Support the Gazette